The Court Improvement Program (CIP) of the Louisiana Supreme Court in partnership with the Pelican Center for Children and Families welcomes you to attend a virtual CIP Café on Human Trafficking and its impact on Child in Need of Care (CINC) cases. This CLE/CEU will provide an overview of human trafficking in Louisiana and how child welfare and legal professionals might encounter trafficking victims. The training will also discuss barriers to identification and promising practices for serving trafficking survivors. Participants will be able to ask questions as well as learn about helpful resources and how to access more information.
- Define the legal characteristics of human trafficking and the sociological concept of human trafficking.
- Explore the scope and nature of human trafficking of youth in Louisiana.
- Examine recruitment, grooming, and psychological coercion to understand how it impacts victims of human trafficking.
- Identify research-based approaches to identification and response that focus on survivor empowerment.
- Consider how participants might integrate human trafficking identification and response into their practice/agency.